Workers’ compensation is legislation that seeks to ensure that employees injured at work are compensated. The legislation pays for medical care for victims; pays for both temporal and permanent disability.
Sometimes, people think that the personal injury claim is among the alternatives to workers compensation. However, the truth is that workers’ compensation is different from a personal injury in several ways. For instance, a personal injury claim is based on someone else’s fault while workers comp is not. Further, a personal injury claim offers an opportunity to recover all the damages you may have suffered due to a personal injury. On the other hand, workers’ compensation offers benefits for suffering pain.
Considering the above scenarios, it is wrong to say that personal injury claims can be alternatives to workers compensation.
Types of Workers Compensation Benefits
Sometimes, understanding the different types of benefits of workers’ compensation can ensure that no one takes advantage of you in one way or the other. However, it is always prudent to work with a workers’ compensation attorney to avoid costly mistakes. Some of the types of workers’ compensation benefits include;
- Medical only, which means that your employer takes care of 100% of medical costs after the injury
- Temporary disability
- Permanent disability
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Death and funeral services
- Lost income
Workers’ Compensation and General Liability
General liability differs from workers’ compensation insurance in several ways. First, general liability is essential in helping to protect against claims that your business caused property damage or injury to a third party. For instance, if a customer hurts themselves while at your business, general liability will come in handy to take care of their medical bills.
The common aspect that the two share is that they both deal with bodily injuries. Further, the law demands that small businesses have workers’ compensation insurance, which does not apply to general liability. However, it is wise to have it.
Why is Workers Compensation Denied?
Having your worker’s compensation denied is the last thing that anyone would want to experience. The first step to ensuring that you do not have to go through the painful ordeal is by familiarizing yourself with the conditions the workers’ compensation claim may be denied.
1. If you fail to report the accident and the injury at the right time
2. If you fail to go to the doctor right away and follow the instructions provided by your doctor
3. No one witnessed the accident, and the employer, therefore, disputes it
4. The employer holding on to the fact that the employee had a history of accidents prior to the injury
5. If you fail to disclose the seriousness of the injury when asked about it
6. If the employer decides to blame the injury based on your past behavior
7. If you fail a drug test
8. The employer does not have the workers’ compensation insurance as required by the law
Hiring the Best Workers’ Compensation Attorney
One of the best ways of ensuring that no one denies your workers’ compensation claim is by hiring a workers’ compensation attorney. An experienced attorney knows what it takes to help you get the just that you deserve. Moreover, there are numerous benefits of hiring an experienced workers’ compensation attorney. For instance, an attorney will improve the negotiations with the insurance company, do the paperwork for you, and strengthen the chances of coming out victorious.
Check out https://qcare.org for more info.