For Canadians importing a car from the United States, an Internal Transaction Number(ITN) is needed from the Automated Export System(AES) of the United States.
There are customs brokerage firms like Clearit that handle high-value imports from the United States. They ensure a hassle-free import in compliance with the customs laws of both countries.
This article takes you through the nitty-gritty of the ITN procedure and the compliances of the importers in Canada.
Let us begin!
The ITN and AES
The ITN is a 14-digit number associated with export transactions in the Automated Export System of the United States.
It is a legal obligation to inform the U.S. government about the details of the export shipment. An ITN must be obtained for all high-value overseas shipments over $2500.
The ITN is automatically generated by AES upon submission. If the exporter does not obtain an ITN, the Customs and Border Protection(CBP) may turn back the package or even issue a fine.
Therefore, filing an ITN ensures a safe passage for exports from the United States.
How can a customs brokerage firm help?
Many firms offer a complete Car import package. Their agents ensure a smooth crossing of your dream car across the border.
They include the following
- Generation of AES/ITN number
- Submissions to Automotive Export Council at 72-hour notice
- Customs agent at the site during the crossing
- Compliance with rules for customs release
- Remittance of Duties and taxes to Canada Customs
- Seamless coordination of border crossing
- Professional Customs Accounting Documentation
The brokerage firms charge a fixed price per clearance based on the value of an import. An additional disbursement fee applies to Duties & Taxes. Further charges for Other Government Declaration and Additional Tariff Lines may be applicable.
Suggestions before importing goods from the United States
- Choose an experienced customs broking firm with proven credibility.
- Ask your agent about all the disbursement and other charges applicable for the import.
- Check the competitive pricing of the service charges of different firms.
- Negotiate with the firm for the last mile delivery of the imported package.
- If you would like to review your entries before customs submission, inform the same to customs agent.
- Ensure compliance with the requisite PARS manifests information to avoid delays.
Now that you understand ITN/AES procedure, choose a professional customs brokerage firm to ensure a hassle-free import from the United States. The Clearit itn number for Canada is the most reliable option you have. You must check out the website for all details!